Blogging is a form of content marketing where you use on-page and technical SEO techniques to increase your website’s search visibility. It works to make sure search engines find your website credible to rank for specific keywords that align with your audiences’ interests and needs. When blogging, you’re using SEO to power an ongoing long-form content strategy.See more about SEO.
Every blog post published has the potential to:
- Build your reputation as a credible source
- Improve your site’s authority
- Increase visibility in organic search
Imagine you were starting a company that sells running gear. You want to help potential customers understand your products, use them more effectively, and solve their running and fitness problems. If you want to get found in search engines like Google, blogging can help you get there.
A well-written blog gives your store a steady stream of original content. The more people that discover your content, the more reliable you’ll become as a source of information. This in turn helps you rank higher. Ecommerce businesses often struggle with blogging because it takes time, effort, and resources to get it right. Randomly publishing blog posts each month won’t bring traffic to your website.
When starting a blog for ecommerce SEO, focus on the following three elements:
- Research what keywords to rank for. Publish content that targets keywords people are likely to search for when solving problems or making a buying decision.
- Optimize blog posts for SEO. Make sure each blog targets a specific keyword for SEO. These are often around problems readers are having about something.
- Present your products as a solution to the problem. Every post doesn’t have to be about your products. But, don’t be afraid to link out to a product page or two when appropriate.